Thursday, August 28, 2008
Thursday Thirteen #10: Southernisms
Yep, I'm not ashamed to admit it.... I'm a Southern gal through and through. And, in honor of that fact, I'm going to give you thirteen "Southernisms" that are very definitely a part of my vocabulary.
1. fixin'.... "I'm fixin' to go to town."
2. might could..... "I might could pick you up some ice cream while I'm there, if you're real sweet."
3. bless your heart.... "But, bless your heart, I don't really know if you need any more ice cream the way you're puttin' on weight."
4. reckon..."I reckon I'll pick it up for you though if your heart is set on it."
5. a fur piece.... "Even though the ice cream store is a fur piece from where I was going."
6. usta could... "I usta could have gotten there and back in two shakes of a lamb's tail, but it takes me longer now."
7. Awfully.... "I get awfully tired, too, when it takes so long."
8. conniption.... "But don't have a conniption if it take me too long to get back."
9. hafta.... "You might hafta put the ice cream in the freezer to harden up if I take too long."
10. mess.... "Before you can eat that ice cream though, you might should go out in the garden and pick a mess o' turnips for supper."
11. mighty.... "Turnips would be mighty fine with pot likker and corn bread."
12. tote.... "Make sure you tote a big bag with you when you go to the garden now, y'hear?"
13. directly... "I'll be back directly, and we'll get supper cooked up so we can have some ice cream for dessert."