Tuesday, August 19, 2008

HOT enough... ?

What to do when you finish a manuscript and your muse pipes up. You are starting to reread so that you can catch anything glaringly wrong. And out of the blue, my muse pipes up in a sex scene, "Ahem... that isn't hot enough! You need put something else there! Something MORE!"

Well, crap, what more do I need to add? Am I the only one with a fickly b... ahem, pain for a muse? She can get me going on my plot, on my characters and even on some of the hotter scenes ("You know you want to tie someone up there. NO, not her... HE needs to be bound! Imagine his surprise if he likes it!"). But when she waits until the last sentence to tell me that she thought there was something not hot enough in the previous paragraphs... I want to wring her bloody neck. What does she do?
She laughs at me and flits off to flirt with one of the men in my head.

So, how am I supposed to reconcile "It's NOT HOT enough" ? Did I not put enough sensory explanations? Did I not use words that were explicit enough? (HA... my Southern gramma would have had heart palpitations if she'd heard that one) And while my darling DH is more than willing to sacrifice himself upon the altar of my muse, there is only so much I'm willing to ask him to do... wait let me rethink that one. LOL

Ah, well, guess I'm going back over THAT scene again. Hmm... how hot is hot enough? You'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: