Friday, August 12, 2011

Reading, Writing, Revisions, Rejections and Bad Reviews

So we all get them. The dreaded R's (and a W). Ok, so some aren't so dreaded. But I happened by Wendi's blog and she got me thinking about a few things.

I haven't had a rejection in a while, not to say one isn't coming. I never count ye olde chickens.

So let's say you have this wonderful story. You've written on it for a long time and made it past step A. Step B--you send to the crit partner. You never know when that wonderful isn't exactly polished enough. That can be a super pain. But, I'd rather have Kealie tell me the story isn't ready rather than step C.

What's step C? The submission process. That's where I am at now. I've got to out in submission land. I'm hoping they aren't lost or worst...in the slush pile to be rejected. But that brings me to the next point.

For every submission, a little rain must fall. Rejection will happen. The dreaded step D. I know, here I am sounding so confident. I'm not. I'm skeered to death that even though I have a book under contract, that I have worked my tail off on the book, that it still won't be up to par. What do I do with rejection? Honestly, after a chunk of Godiva chocolate (milk chocolate, thank you very much), and a little teary action, I give myself a month and revise. If it's a thank you very much, but no thank you, well, I still revise but I look at secondary publishers.

So now I'm at step E. The revision. Not everyone will love what you wrote. Some editors will look at it and say, there's too much work to be done and I don't want to do that. Others might say, this story has no promise. Then there will be some who say, yanno, this is something I totally want to work with. We all want those editors. So I set myself a month. If the editor likes what he/she sees, but it's not quite there and the offer to revise is offered, then I give myself that month to get it revised per editor's instructions. Is it painful? Sometimes. Is it hard? Can be. But if you don't at least try, then you'll never know.

So it's been revised and resubbed. Once again to step D. The waiting and the hoping.

But let's skip ahead. Say the book has been accepted, edited and released. Now we're at the review stage. My take? Reviews are opinions. What that reader thought of your work on that given day. The reader could be having a crummy day. Could be stressed. Could be just not really interested in reading. Could be that your work is just what he/she is looking for. As much as I find it hard to adhere to this sometimes...you gotta swallow ye olde pride and just smile. Was it Monty Python that said, "Always look on the bright side of life"?



It's true. You might not like what they have to say, but really, it's an opinion. You'll never make everyone happy. Think about it this way. Taylor Swift. It seems like this girl can't put a foot wrong. Then look at the reviews on Amazon for her latest CD. Yeah, she's got some serious haters. Some are really more reviewing her as a person (which is a whole 'nother ball of wax), but as much as it's loved, the CD is not loved. Or take the Stephanie Meyer series. Twilight isn't a favorite of mine. Not a book I could get into. Check out the reviews. Either it's loved or hated. Do you think she or Taylor actually sit up at night worrying about reviews? Probably not. Why? They have boat loads of cash to count. I'm sure they don't want to be hated. No one does. But reviews, like opinions and individuality are parts of life.

So, follow old Monty Python. Always look on the light side of life. :::Whistling::::


2 comments:

Janice Seagraves said...

Always look forward. Looking back is a pain in the neck.

Menagerie Authors said...

Sure is. Thanks Janice!