Monday, August 8, 2011

Author Interview ~ Lisa Beth Darling!




Today on our couch is the wonderful author, Lisa Beth Darling. Welcome Lisa. Always fun to have people stop by and chat. Let’s get down to the nitty gritty, since we’re here for an interview!

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


I was given my first creative writing assignment in 4th grade and I was hooked. I was instantly transported to a tiny world of my own creation. I knew that this was what was I was going to do the rest of my life. After that, whenever someone asked me "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I always said "A writer."?

I think we all said that. Well, no, I said I wanted to be a lion tamer, but that’s another story. When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I wrote my first full-length novel in 7th grade, it was titled "Save Me From the Roses" and was a full-on horror story with several erotic/romantic elements. No, my style hasn't changed very much over the years but I have honed my craft and I think it's gotten a bit better.

I’m sure it has. Now, if you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Stephen King. I fell head over heels in love with a little story called "'Salem's Lot" when I was in 6th grade, I actually have a first edition paperback that I would (almost) kill to have signed. He drew me in with the first word and he never let me go. Here we are 30 something years later.


That’s fantastic. I have a first printing of a lot of his books. Some are older than I am. Hee hee. Can you share a little of your current work with us?

"The Heart of War" is a dark erotic paranormal romance featuring Ares God of War and Alena MacLeod, a half-Fey half-human woman who washes up on the shore of his secluded Greek island. When first meet Ares he's what you'd expect him to be; arrogant, brash, brooding, intimidating and above all sexy as…well…a Greek God! Alena is on the run from her husband, Cernunnos whom she was forced to marry at a very young age. As she piques his curiosity and his interest, he falls in love with her and she with him. They face many battles from within and from without in the form of Ares' Divinely Dysfunctional Family, the Olympians as well as facing Cernunnos together. By the end of the story hopefully the reader comes away with a little different perspective on Ares, what he's all about and why he does some of the rather terrible things he does.

Oh! I love mythology. Then again, I’d love to see Gerard Butler gussied up as Ares. Wink. How did you come up with the title?

I didn't come up with the title, the Muse did, he thought it was funny. "The Heart of War", of course refers to Ares' heart but it's also a little play on words using Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" as a springboard.

Gotta love when the muse is in the house. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Hummm, I try not to do messages--those are for fables but I guess I'd like them to come away feeling that things aren't always what they seem and history doesn't always tell us the truth about events. I'd like them to come away believing that love really does conquer all and, most of all, bad boys need love too!

Absolutely. What are your current projects?

The current project is "Child of War-A God is Born" it's the two-part sequel to "The Heart of War". "Child of War-A God is Born" will release in early October, 2011 with the second half "Child of War-Rising Son" releasing in December, 2011. The last novel in the series "Spoils of War" will come out sometime in 2012.


Busy lady! Now down to the fun stuff. Who designed the covers?

I did! I do all of my book covers. At first it was a royal pain but as I stuck with it and learned more and more about PhotoShop it's really quite fun now.

I envy you. I so want to learn PhotoShop, but I don’t have the time. What do you think makes a good story?

Unique couples in conflict. Stories about your average John and Jane Doe don't interest me especially if they aren't doing anything terribly interesting. Boy Meets Girl, Boy Gets Girl, They Live Happily Ever After….boring! Give me some meat to go with those potatoes and gravy something I can chew on, taste, and digest. I love stories that aren't afraid to be right up in your face about things and that push the envelope as far as it will go.

Time for the questions that can be fun or embarrassing. What animal do you think makes the best pet and why?

Cats, definitely cats. I love dogs, I really do love *other people's dogs* and they love me but I've had two and they're a lot of work and they're needy and they think they're human. Cats are aloof, independent, they come to you on their terms when they want to be pet or fed and then leave you alone. Plus you don't have to pick up poop.

I love cats, but man, you have to clean out the litter box. That sucks. But dogs are loyal. Cats like to flick their tails, show you their heiny and stroll away. Mine does anyway. Do you hate how you look in pictures? Why or why not?

Oh Gods no! I am almost always behind the camera and hardly ever in front of it. I don't consider myself very photogenic, too many freckles, my nose is too long, and oh my are those wrinkles around my eyes!
We all have those, hon, but hey, someone has to take the pics. Boxers, briefs, boxerbriefs…. Or commando? Why?

Commando, baby. Easier access.

You read my mind. When you looked in the mirror this morning, what was the first thing you thought?

I try not to look in the mirror, not even when I brush my teeth and I don't ever wear any make up so I don't have to deal with that catastrophe. Only for a few seconds every morning as I'm brushing my waist-length hair and putting it in a ponytail for the day do I sneak a peek at my own reflection. I figure if I look like crap someone will tell me.

Long hair. Man, that’s work. I had long hair once. Cut most of it off. Too hot.


And you have me to tell you if you look like crap.

Ditto, Kealie. Now, what were you doing at midnight last night?

Sleeping! I'm a 'Pooh-Bah' (short for Pooh Bear) and we really like to be safe and comfy warm, all snuggly in our beds by 10pm. If not, we get cranky.

Which is the opposite of the Wild Women who figure sleep is overrated. What is your heritage?

American. People laugh when I say that but it's true, I am the definition of 'American' here goes: I am….Irish, Scottish, English, German, Portugese, Native American, with a smattering of Dutch back there somewhere. See? American, that's me.

Makes sense. Have you ever cried during a movie? If yes, which one and why?

Oh my yes. The older I get, the more ye olde hormones act up and the more I can cry at the drop of a hat! I always tear up when 'Spock' dies in Star Trek II, I bawl my eyes out at the end of "Beaches" but I cry the most at the end of "The Shawshank Redemption", 'Red' and 'Andy' are my heroes.

See? I am not the only one. Red and Andy rock! Speaking of movies that have massive thunderstorms, do you like thunderstorms?

When I was a kid I hated them, you could find me UNDER my bed at the very first sound of thunder or lightning strike and I would hide there until it was over shaking and terrified. Now, as an adult, I find them amazingly exhilarating. I love to watch them and go out and dance in them. Let them power wash over me, fill me, and take away all of my cares as it reminds me that I too am a powerful creature with a wild side.

And now for the most exciting question...can you tie a cherry stem in a knot?

Why, yes, yes, I can!

Where can we find your work?

FaceBook-Personal Page http://www.facebook.com/lisabeth1
FaceBook-(brand new!) FanPage http://www.facebook.com/lbdarling
Twitter: lb_darling
Blog: http://lbdarling.wordpress.com
Website: http://www.moonsmusings.com/lbdarling

Now about the book, Heart of War!
The Heart of War by Lisa Beth Darling
ISBN:978-0615424682
Pages: 516
Publisher Moon Mistress Publishing USA
Dark Erotic Paranormal Romance

Inside the Heart of every Warrior breathes the Soul of a Hero--even within The Heart of War.
Meet Ares God of War, the greatest Warrior the world has ever known. He's moody, grumpy, dominant, ravenously sexual, and above all, built like a Greek God.
Suspected of killing his Daughter in-Law, Psyche, and long in exile from Olympus, the solitude of Ares' secluded Greek Isle is interrupted when Magdalena MacLeod a plucky little Fey washes up on his shore after believing she's been shipwrecked. It's not mere fate that has brought the unlikely couple together yet it may be what tears them apart.
Branded with a golden chastity belt bearing the mark of Cernunnos, Celtic God of the Forest and Death, Alena has been on the run from her husband the Great Horned God for 200 years.
When the Olympians discover her presence on Ares' island, they send Apollo to the island while Ares is away with orders to bring her to Olympus. With nowhere to run and strikes a bargain with the God of War--her virginity for his protection.
Ares sees a sweeter deal; her in his bed and himself back in his rightful place on Olympus among the Gods. If it means turning Alena over to Zeus afterward, well that's of no consequence to him...is it?
After Alena proves herself to the God of War in battle and in his bed, the Ares must choose between his Divinely Dysfunctional Family, his pride, and Alena.
Get lost in this sweeping dark saga of lust, rage, revenge, and redemption. Battle Ancient Gods while falling in love with Ares God of War and Alena MacLeod. They share a love that will rock the world from the heights of Olympus to the Celtic moors.

Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Heart-War-Lisa-Beth-Darling/dp/0615424686/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293629750&sr=1-4


Kindle
http://www.amazon.com/The-Heart-of-War-ebook/dp/B004DCB3CA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1299524573&sr=1-1

Nook
http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=book&ATH=Lisa+Beth+Darling

You can find out more about this novel by going to http://www.moonsmusings.com/lbdarling/heartofwar


No comments: