Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Why?

Why do I write?

Some days I question my sanity. I spend hours of every day thinking about characters that sometimes seem as real as my next door neighbors. There are nights I'll wake up in the pitch black with a solution to a problem I've been worried about for days or even weeks.

Even more amazing is when my characters tell me things that I didn't have a clue about. She went found teenagers beating up and kitten when she was eight? Really? His mother and father considered his birth an accident? Oh? She's afraid of the color pink? He loves cucumbers dipped in mayonnaise?

It consumes me. Even when I'm not writing, I'm thinking about writing.

Why do I write?

Because I can't not write. And isn't that the best reason?

2 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

That's really the only reason to write, IMHO. If you can quit, you should.

Kealie Shay said...

See... I'm not the only one in the menagerie that hears voices. I think we need t-shirts. "I write what the voices in my head tell me to!"

I found a long time ago, that if I don't at least write some of it down the voices get really loud and start harping at me.