Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday Author Interview with Sam Crescent


This week we’d like to welcome our dear friend Sam Crescent on to the couch. She’s a fellow Total-E-Bound author and well, we love her work. But hey, let’s get down to the interview. That’s what we’re here for! Grin.
Where are you from?
I’m from a very small country known as the United Kingdom. It maybe small but I can find many sources of inspiration and ideas for writing my books.
Awesome. Tell us your latest news?
My latest work, Tempting Research, was accepted for the Claw Marks anthology by Rebel Ink Press. This anthology will feature so many wonderful Rebel Ink writers and I’m so pleased to be given a part amongst such talent.

My first story, in a rough six part series was accepted and contracted by Total-E-Bound and now I’m working like crazy on the second.




Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Not massive experiences but Raven in Clifford Arbor, can’t make toast, she is always burning the stuff. Guess what? So do I. I can bake and cook and have some great responses to my cooking. Toast? Not a chance.


Hey, write what you know.  What are your current projects?
I have a load of second books to write. I’m writing book two as part of my vampire/ werewolf series with Total-e-bound. I’m also writing the second book to Clifford Arbor.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I guess it started with unhappy endings in films and I would find myself spending way too much time analyzing the ending and then it would develop to what I hated and that would change. Then before I knew it I was coming up with whole new ideas and writing them down in a note book. A dear friend then suggested to me, with the amount I read, maybe I should start writing. After a lot of humming and arghing I did and now after three years, I’m here :-)
Sometimes the arghing is all it takes, and the nudge from a good friend. Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
I always struggle with the edits. I have this obsessive nature which means I have to learn all of my mistakes and sometimes I don’t understand completely what I need to do. Edits are a real problem and for me take the most time. At the end of the day they are really worth it. I always want my story to be the best it can be.


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
To allow it all to come naturally. No matter how many words I wanted to write on the day, I couldn’t force them. I would try and write the word count I set myself on the day and if I really wasn’t with my characters or my story, I would have to scrap the words the next day. So for me just relax and take it as it comes. Since doing this, my word count has increased and I can write so much more.
Too true. Do you have any advice for other writers?
I never feel qualified writing an answer to this but as an aspiring writer I always was searching for some key or some magical advice. The real advice I would say is start talking to authors, go into yahoo groups, not to stalk or anything but to talk to them about writing. I started talking with a wonderful writer and a lovely person and she really helped me to understand this craziness better. The other piece, would be to understand that no matter how many rejections you get to keep on writing. The final bit of advice, I think I received my fifth rejection and then I thought, what the hell, and I sent them an email asking if they could provide any feedback. Their feedback was wonderful. It stopped me feeling like a useless writer and made me realize with a lot of hard work I could achieve this.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you so much for reading my first ever story and for all your kind words. I hope you’ll like my other work I have coming out and all the new plots I’m developing. I look forward to this amazing journey with all of you.

Cool! How long does it take you to write a book?
This differs. For instance I just received a contract with Total-E-Bound for a paranormal vampire book. This is the first one in the series and I’m currently writing the second. It took me around a month to completely understand my characters and what I wanted to do. I did all the planning while working on two other books. When I had nothing other to worry me and my slate was clear so to speak, I managed to get the main story wrote within two weeks and then I spent another week, adding and taking elements away and then I spent another week reading it through before sending it off for submission. Office Hours took me over three months to write and then over a year to get to a standard that meant it got accepted.

I find with every acceptance I get a bit more confident with my writing and I’m not spending time over every paragraph thinking it is useless and awful.


How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
So far I have 7 books in total, 6 are under contract. I will always have a love and fondness for Office Hours as it was my first book accepted and published. A Wild Older woman is the first story my sister truly believed I could write. She loves this story and that is scheduled for a September 30th release through Secret cravings publishing. Clifford Arbor: The Seduction of Raven Peters, is the book with a lot of firsts for me. It was my first m/m relationship, it was my first longest book, It was my first menage and it was also my first story where I created the town Clifford Arbor in my own head.

My next book is about vampires and werewolves and I have somewhat of a guilty pleasure when it comes to these and I love the fact I created a series and a world all for me and hopefully a world my readers will love.


Now for some fun questions. What animal do you think makes the best pet and why?
Dogs, they are cute and fluffy.
Do you hate how you look in pictures? Why or why not?
Yes, I do. I hate having my picture taken but I imagine with the progression of my writing I’ll have to splurge out soon and go before the dreaded thing.

Boxers, briefs, boxerbriefs…. Or commando? Why?
Boxers definitely. They just seem hot on a guy. And commando, it makes my writing so much easier *wink*

You can erase any horrible experience from your past. What will it be?
French class and puberty. Don’t ask !!!
When you looked in the mirror this morning, what was the first thing you thought?
Ahh, serious bed hair.
What were you doing at midnight last night?
Falling asleep on my keyboard. Edits are awful, don’t you think?

Have you ever eaten a crayon?

As a kid I imagine there wasn’t anything that didn’t go in my mouth :-)

What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
Squid, just give me a moment to shudder...no wait Tofu, I mean really what use is that blob of stuff. Eww.


What do you want to know about the future?
Nothing and that way I don’t have to panic or worry about anything. I’m quite happy to live everyday as it comes. It’s nice to turn round and say I wish I knew what happened but in truth, I’m happier not knowing what is to come.

Have you ever cried during a movie? If yes, which one and why?
All the time. I cried when Leo/ Jack died on the Titanic. I love that movie. Three times during the Green Mile. This will be a long list. Call me sensitive.

What is your favorite pizza?
A meat feast, why is there any other topping?

Are you a morning person or a night person?
With coffee, I’m any time of day person. I can do everything with coffee :-)
Do you like thunderstorms?
I like watching the lightening light up the sky. It is scary and beautiful.
Can you tie a cherry stem in a knot?
Absolutely not. Wouldn’t even try it.
Do you sleep with the light on? Why or why not?
No, I have darkness. I use to have to have a light on somewhere but that is because I have a wild imagination, which is why I don’t watch horror movies. I’m 100% romance and animation.

How many fingers am I holding up?
Erm...
Cyber searching, erm, three lol.


Terrible trick question, I know, but I love it. Want to know more about Sam?
Sam Crescent is passionate about fiction. She loves a good erotic romance and so it only made sense for her to spread her wings and start writing. She began writing in 2009 and finally got that first acceptance in 2011 by Total-E-Bound.
She loved creating new characters and delving into the worlds that she creates. When she’s not panicking about a story or arguing with a character, she can be found in her kitchen creating all kinds of havoc. Like her stories the creations in the kitchen can be just as dubious but sometimes things turn out great.

http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/Sam-Crescent/100002178529657
http://twitter.com/#!/SamCrescent
http://samcrescent.wordpress.com/

Office Hours:



Fiery red headed temptress Anya King is desperate for the carnal delights of a pleasure weekend. A chance to indulge in every sexual fantasy.

However...

Demanding sexy boss, Nathan Banks, has signed them both up for a “team-building” weekend, in the beautiful country town of Buxton.

Innocent weekend turns to hot, lusty sex. Enough to melt the snow outside and the ice around their hearts. Will the job she loves survive the weekend? And will their time be more than just a moment?

And the blurb for A Wild Older Woman

I don’t have a buy link for this yet.

Blurb:
Do younger men treat a woman better? At least that is what Karen Wild is to
find out what being a cougar is all about. She believed she could battle
anything that came her way...that is until Nick Marshall entered her life.

She never anticipated Nick, thirteen years her junior, being interested in her.
He’s hot and he wants Karen all to himself.
Join this cougar as she learns to accept her sexuality and finally learns what it
means to love and how a younger man can melt the years away.

No comments: