Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Guest Blog: Jami Gray

For the first Guest Blog on Menagerie Authors, we'd like to welcome Jami Gray. Take it away Jami!Thanks for having me. I love the leopard print on your couch!

Where are you from?
The Southwest, where summer is a year -long event. I’ve made a few forays to the northwest, but the fact that mold would grow in the strangest places, the roads are planned around trees and gray seems to a central color palette has kept me under sunnier skies. The only drawback is the amount I invest in sun screen since my Irish/Scot genes have chosen fluorescent as an acceptable skin tone.

Tell us your latest news…
My book, Shadow’s Edge is out November 1st from Black Opal Books. It’s the first in a planned Urban Fantasy series where magic exists in the real world. It follows our lethal heroine, Raine McCord, as she comes face to face with the demons of her past as she wades through a series of murders stalking the world of the Kyn. Of course, she’s not sure if she should drool or curse when she finds herself having to work with the extremely sexy and disturbing, Gavin Durand.

So is writing your only career?
I wish. It’s hard not to turn green when I hear of those other lucky authors who finally figure out the secret code of having their writing become their “job”. Unfortunately, I’m still trying to decipher the code, but I seem to get closer every year. *sigh* I telecommute for the “job-that-pays-the-bills”, and I have two monsters…I mean, boys…who torture…sorry…enrich my life. Plus a knight-in-muddy-armor and a hellhound, who resembles a small horse, but is mistaken for a lab.

What are the pros/cons of writing?

I have a type-A personality and the phrase “OCD” pops up occasionally. My critique group thinks it’s hilarious that with my personality I am actually a “panters”—I write by the seat of my pants. I’ve tried outlining, but it always turns into an epic fail. Instead , an idea or character spark and then they take over. Take Raine, for instance. The idea of magic existing in the real world, then that magic being exploited by government agencies, started my world building. As I created the world, bits and pieces of Raine started to peek out and then one day she was lounging at the opening of a dark alley I was skittering pass to get out of the damn rain in Portland. Talk about near death experience. She had a little chat with me, and when I could breathe again, she was in control. She’s not one to follow outlines.

I don’t suggest writing this way for the faint of heart. It’s a rocky, perilous road and you never see the yawning pit of hell until you’ve got one foot hovering over it.

Sounds dangerous…
Yeah but I love every minute of it. Writing is my form of therapy. Instead of paying someone to listen to my perceived issues, I just work them out with the voices in my head. At least on paper when I have to use lethal force as a solution, I don’t have to hit up friends for bail.

What are your hobbies…
I read, listen to music, mountain bike (okay not so much in a desert but rocky, sand bike then) and hang with my family, at least when I’m not writing, editing or promoting. I have two huge bookcases filled with writers I can only hope to someday be like. Don’t ask me for a favorite because it’s too hard to choose.

Who’s on your nightstand?
CE Murphy, JR Ward, Charlaine Harris, Katie MacAlister, Kerrelyn Sparks, Juliana Stone, Eileen Rendahl and Kelley Armstrong. That’s not counting the ones on my Kindle. I could go on. I’m a bit behind on my reading lately.

Who’s on your ipod?
Iphone, actually. *wiggles it in the air* The greatest invention…well almost. *winks* Let’s see, Bush, Nine Inch Nails, Nickleback, Adele, Foo Fighters, Shakira, Rhianna, Tori Amos, Depeche Mode….

Okay thanks, but I’m not sure we have enough time for the complete list.
Sorry, got a little carried away.

Oh hon, we get carried away all the time. Look at the cabana boys...yeah, it's a good carried away. Let’s get back on track…what were you doing at midnight?
Making mental lists in the dark. My mind tends to go into OCD overdrive at night.

Can you tie a cherry stem in a knot?
Nope, I’m a massive klutz, but I have friends who can!

Chocolate or vanilla?
Seriously, do you really have to ask….chocolate!


Where can you find Jami Gray?
Buy Link: www.BlackOpalBooks.com
Website: www.JamiGray.com
Blogs: www.7EvilDwarves.wordpress.com or www.JamiGray.wordpress.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jamigray.author
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/JamiGrayAuthor

Want to read more about Shadow’s Edge? Ta da!

It takes a monster to hunt one, and for Raine McCord, forged in the maelstrom of magic and science, she’s the one for the job. In a world where the supernatural live in a shadowy existence with the mundane, a series of disappearances and deaths threatens the secrecy of her kind and indicates someone knows the monsters are alive and kicking. Partnering up with the sexy and tantalizing Gavin Durand proves to be a challenge as dangerous as the prey she hunts.

When the trail points back to the foundation which warped Raine’s magic as a child, her torturous past raises its ugly head. Gavin and Raine sift through a maze of lies, murder and betrayal to discover not only each other, but the emerging threat to them and the entire magical community.

Want to know more about Jami Gray? Here you go:
Growing up on the Arizona-Mexico border, Jami Gray was adopted at the age of 14 and suddenly became the fifth eldest of 37 children. She graduated from Arizona State University with a Bachelor’s in Journalism and three minors-History, English, and Theater. Shortly after marrying her techie-geek hubby (who moonlighted as her best friend in high school) she completed a Masters in Organizational Management from University of Phoenix Oregon.

Now, years later, she’s back in the Southwest where she’s outnumbered in her own home by two Star Wars obsessed boys, one Star Wars obsessed husband, and an overly-friendly, 105-pound male lab. Writing is what saves her sanity.

No comments: