Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Too Much?

Those of you who know me are wondering why suddenly I'm worried about too much... don't worry, it's not what you think. Today, I'm actually wondering about how much of your "real" life is too much to put into your work?

Recently, and over the last few months, I have been dealing with some pretty heavy issues in my own life. A lot of those issues seem to be finding their way into my work and writing. I am a firm believer that all experiences can (and usually are) fodder for the imagination. Every emotion you experience makes it easier to describe it in your work. But when is it too much? When do you run the risk of a family member or friend reading your work and recognizing something they went through with you, and possibly getting upset?

Is it wrong to experience the death of a friend and wonder if some day you'll be able to write about that time, or that experience without sobbing? I know that some days are harder than others, and we all have personal struggles. I just hope that my wish to someday be able to use those struggles to enhance my writing doesn't make me... callous.

Does anyone else out there have these struggles? Do you feel guilty when/if you do? Anyone? Bueller... Bueller?

No comments: