Monday, May 24, 2010

Author Interview ~ Yvonne Nicolas



Howdy howdy howdy… no, I don’t have a reason for saying it three times. I just felt like it. :-D I hope y’all are having a great Monday morning. Today we have with us author Yvonne Nicolas. Let’s all make sure she feels welcome.

Welcome to The Menagerie, Yvonne. Make yourself comfy. Grab a drink… grab a Cabana Boy… sit back and relax and we’ll have some fun. As usual, Megan has joined us today on the couch.


:::Megan waves:::

So let’s get started. Where are you from, Yvonne?

Orlando, Florida, but recently I’ve become a Georgia girl. :-D

From Georgia to Florida.... at least you like warm weather.


LOL! Absolutely nothing wrong with warm weather. When and why did you begin writing?

Well, I’ve always been an avid reader, and a collector of novels, but decided to try my hand at writing about 3 years ago. I honestly didn’t think I could write without straying off the beaten path, which to this day is true. Imagine my surprise when I finished a book that actually caught an editor’s attention.

Being a little off the beaten path is never bad. How did you come up with the title?

I had a ton of different titles on the board before I chose Designing Love, none of which went along with the storyline. Since the story is about the love created between an architect and Interior Designer, I thought Designing Love was perfect.


Oh, I have agree! I love how sometimes it just works that way!

Yup! That does sound perfect. What are your current projects?


Currently, I’m working on an urban fantasy, with a little bit of horror and a lotta bit of sex. ;o) I’m also working on a sequel to Designing Love, a story about my favorite character, Pete.

Ooh, I love sequels!


Me too! sequels keep me coming back to a great book series. Do you see writing as a career?

I’d say so…Writing is therapy to me and keeps me out of trouble. Well, most of the time.

What you need to be kept out of trouble, too? At least we aren’t alone, Kealie.


No kidding, nice to know there are others who may come and bail us out! Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Yes, developing my characters. I want my readers to be able to connect with my characters on any level when they read my stories, and that alone is a challenge within itself.

Yup, definitely a challenge. Characters have minds of their own most days. What do you like to do when you're not writing?

When I’m not writing, I’m either reading, critiquing, or watching cartoons with my son. His favorite show and also mine is the Avatar, The Last Air Bender. You should see him try to bend elements like they do on the show. It’s hilarious. LOL!

LOL, my kids use The Force. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Yes. Love is color blind.

I would have to agree with that one. How much of the book is realistic?

60% And I dare not tell you what parts are based on real live events. LOL!

Aw come on... we dare you. Trust me. We dare you. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Well I can’t just choose one. I’m a huge Ann Rice and Mary Ann Mitchell fan. I know I’m not alone when I say two of the coolest vampires ever created were Lestat and Marquis De Sade.

Ann Rice is so awesome. I love her vamps. What book are you reading now?

I’m deeply caught up in the Vampire Hunter D series, written by Hideyuki Kikuchi. I saw the movie and just had to read the books.


Hmmm... can't say I've ever heard of that one. Sounds interesting. Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Sure.


The pounding beat of the hard rock music did little to diffuse the fire storm raging within her core. Josephine continually clutched her thighs together and shifted in the leather seat, hoping to God the feeling would go away, but the longer she sat there, the worse it became.

He smelled so good, like a delicious man-meal on a platter. His cologne combined with his natural scent enticed her senses.

She kept taking involuntary glances at his masculine hands and long fingers. She wrung her hands feverishly in her lap, fighting the need to slip her fingers between her thighs to heal the ache dangling on the edge of her clit.

Huffing, she turned to stare out the window.

“You okay?”

Hell no! “Uh-huh, you have a nice ride.”

She couldn’t even look at him. It was best she didn’t. He was poison to her resistance. He had a way of sucking her into the deep blue fantasy called his eyes. It was too dangerous of a place to be, a place where she could easily lose herself in a heat of passion. Damn him. It wasn’t fair he had this kind of effect on her, especially when she tried to stay on the right path.

“Here we go.” They pulled up to the entrance.

“Thanks for the ride,” she uttered quickly.

Swiftly, she grabbed the handle in an attempt to make a run for it. His fingers wrapped around her wrist, forcing her to turn and look at him. His inky hair had fallen over his forehead, enhancing his sex appeal.

“I know this goes against what we discussed at the outlet, but – I just want to spend time with you, get to know you. And where we go from there, let’s – let’s just leave it to fate. I like you a lot Josephine, and I’m hoping you feel the same about me.”

His eyes were so sincere, so hopeful. Damn it, she had almost made it out of the vehicle. She closed her eyes for a brief moment to steady her thoughts, to think of something to say that didn’t involve the words, fuck me, please.


Hot!


You can say that again! Who designed the covers?

The multi talented T.D. McKinney.

Lovely job too. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Oh yeah! If my story doesn’t make you squeeze your thighs together and shift in your seat, then I haven’t done my job very well. ;o)

We love stories that make us squirm. What animal do you think makes the best pet and why?

Shih-tzu. They are insanely loveable creatures, they’re easily house broken, and they’re great around kids.

Oh, so the answer isn’t men? They can be housebroken, too.


Oh, Megan, behave yourself! Yvonne, you can erase any horrible experience from your past. What will it be?

LOL! I’m not telling. Just know it’s horrible enough to erase.

Aw, you gotta tell us now. I’m dyin’ here. Alright, fine.


Yeah, that's not fair just leaving us hanging here. Now it's time for our "absolutely-nothing-to-with-writing" questions: When you looked in the mirror this morning, what was the first thing you thought?

English muffin. Mmmm.

Interesting.


LOL, yes, very interesting. What were you doing at midnight last night?

Watching anime and sipping on a glass of red wine.

Huh, seems like an interesting night. What’s a saying you use a lot? Where did it originate from?

“Everything happens for a reason.” I have no idea where it was originated from, but it’s something my mother taught me.

What is your favorite animal?

Black Panther.

Ohh, that's one of mine too! What is your favorite pizza?

Pepperoni.

Are you a morning person or a night person?

Definitely a night person.

Pretty sure most of us authors are night owls... Do you like thunderstorms?

Oh yeah. It makes a great soundtrack for hot, buck naked sex. :o)

Ah yes, I love me some thunderstorms. Plus it’s great moodlighting.


Absolutely it can be. Well, now it's time to say goodbye. Thank you so much for hanging out with us on the couch today at The Menagerie. It's been fun. :-D Don't be a stranger, and feel free to continue hanging out with our Cabana Boys, they live to serve.


Designing Love by Yvonne Nicolas
When world renowned architect, Devon Sparks meets Josephine Burnett, a brilliant interior designer, the attraction is instantaneous.

Devon reluctantly accepted the job of designing a house for his former lover who'd betrayed him with his best friend. Still a little emotionally battered, he is content to never love again, until Josephine shows up on his doorstep.

To be paired with Devon Sparks is Josephine's chance to showcase her talents. Devon comes off as rude at first, but she quickly finds out the man behind the cold, hard exterior is a man with the need to be loved.

Bound to a guy who doesn't deserve her loyalty, Josephine is hesitant to grasp the chance to be loved totally by a man who is not of her race, until Devon takes matters into his own hands and gives her a taste of the passion they could share.

But can he convince her?

1 comment:

Catherine Bybee said...

Great interview, ladies. And the excerpt is smoking!