Thursday, April 1, 2010

Special Guest Interview: Genella deGrey

Give a warm Menagerie welcome to author Genella deGrey, who was brave enough to take a turn on the Menagerie couch, in conjunction with the Goddess Fish Promotions virtual tour for her latest release, "Love Divine"!

You can find a listing of all her tour stops here, and remember -- Genella will be giving away a PDF of Love Divine  to one randomly drawn commenter, so let her know you were here!!



Now, we turn the couch over to Genella...


Genella, when and why did you begin writing?

I wish I had a definitive answer for you :) – I've been fooling around with writing stories since about high school, then picked it up again in late 1995. I seriously set out to get published in 2003. The why is even fuzzier. LOL I guess subconsciously I figured I was amusing myself with my stories, perhaps it was time to try and entertain someone else.

Obviously that wasn't the case, since your publisher enjoyed your book!! If you had to choose, which published author would you want to be your mentor?

Aside from all the wonderful authors already standing by me with their undying support, I'd really love to be in contact with Jude Deveraux. I cut my romance reading teeth on her historicals. A few years ago, I had the privilege of meeting Judith McNaught, who is also one of my early, super-favorite authors. :)

HEY.. they were two of my favorite authors when I was growing up, too!

So... we know "Love Divine" is your current release. What are your current projects?

I have an historical erotic romance coming out in June called, "Unmasked" which I'm really excited about. It takes place in very early Regency (1795) and features two heroes and two heroines. :) Right now I'm working on a sexy Victorian romance I call "Cat and Mouse" (but that's only a working title) about a feisty heroine who is forced to turn to thievery to survive. However, the poor girl isn't exactly proficient. LOL I also have a few sexy historicals in the queue awaiting to be given the green light from my publisher at Resplendence.

It seems as though the authors have to answer all the questions. Why don't we turn the tables? Do you have questions you’d like to ask your readers?

What would you like to see more of in the hero category? It seems us gals love the great hair, a devilish smile with the killer dimples—and of course, the tall. Broad shouldered guys – but is there anything you haven't seen and would like to?

Great question! I hope you get some clever answers.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?


Well, because I have a 9 to 5, it's rather sporadic. I work against both that ever-present word count and the clock. ;) Any time I can type in a few words, I do it. If I'm somewhere a computer isn't, I jot down thoughts on what ever will accept ink.

Sounds familiar. I'm sure most of our readers could sympathize with you. Besides your EDJ, what do you like to do when you're not writing?

Usually I watch movies. But when I really need to get out, I go see a live jazz or swing band. If I'm lucky, the venue will have a dance floor and a few guys who know how to lead. :)

And now it’s time for our “absolutely-nothing-to-do-with-writing” questions:

What animal do you think makes the best pet and why?

I grew up with Dalmatians, exotic birds—I even had a rat and a hamster. So you know I love animals, but right now I have enough on my hands taking care of my five year-old. ;)

What is your strangest habit?

I have plenty of habits, but I'm not sure if they would be considered strange or not. One that I know of that isn't usually practiced is my infatuation with the paranormal. Not vampires and were-creatures, LOL, but the spirit world.

What’s a saying you use a lot?

What a fun question! Well, a few come to mind: "That's all, brother!" From my grandmother. "Well, bye." A quote from the movie, Tombstone. And there is always, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! (That's WTF, BTW. LOL)

Have you ever cried during a movie? If yes, which one and why?

I am the sappiest person I know. My feminine emotions hover close to the surface on a regular basis, not just PMS time. LOL The very worst movie for me was "City of Angels." I think I cried from the first scene of that film through the credits. I've seen the movie twice, and it was the same the second time. It just touched me on so many levels.

What is one thing scientists should invent?

A cure for cancer would be nice. And although I'd love to travel through time, I think history classes would not be able to catch up with the changes that would occur. ;)

If you could wish for anything, what would you wish for?

I'd wish for the hatred between humans and religions would stop. I feel that there will never be peace on this earth unless we learn to co-exist and treat each other with respect. Common courtesy really isn't that difficult a concept and we need to teach it to our children from the very beginning. If I may quote Elvis Costello: "What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?"

Thanks, Genella!

Now, let's learn a bit about your book.

In the Highlands of Britannia, 420 A.D., Aslyn, was raised a Druid by her late mother.

Now Rome has returned, but in place of a legion of solders, a single man peddles a new Roman god.

Ryus Jorian was sent on a mission for the new religion. But instead of a cave of barbaric souls in need of saving, he finds an intelligent, beautiful, hedonistic distraction whom his Bishop finds equally delectable.

Ryus must choose between the salvation of his soul and the woman he loves.

Aslyn must escape before she becomes the Bishop’s newest sacrificial lamb.


An Excerpt:

Reaching up to entwine her arms around his neck, Aslyn’s heart raced when his mouth softly coaxed her lips part. She nearly toppled over when he groaned as her tongue touched his. The wood post which bordered the stable separated their bodies, and Aslyn longed to be rid of the thing.

Suddenly remembering that anyone who had a view of the stable could see them, she broke out of the kiss.

“We shouldn’t be—”

“I know, I’m sorry.”

Aslyn glanced over her shoulder and back up to Ryus. No one was about, but that could change at any moment. Her breath came out in a huff that may have been part laughter. “Let me finish. We shouldn’t be doing this here.”

She saw his eyes light up like flames. “Then where?”

“Come to me after sundown,” she whispered, unable to believe the words actually came out of her mouth. Oh, she was thinking them, but once they passed over her lips, the bones were cast. He would be leaving soon, and it would be good for her to take a few more memories with her to her grave.

Without another word, Aslyn pushed away from the stable fence and headed straight for her lodging.

She paced in her room and wrung her hands, the same way in she did just before she met Ryus in the ancient grove of Ardwinna.

Aslyn almost yelped when he came bursting through her front door.

“You have more faith in me than I do if you think I can wait until sundown.”

3 comments:

Genella deGrey said...

Thank you so much for hosting me!
Oh, and I LOVE that Hump Day pic below - VERY sexy!
:)
G.

Kealie Shay said...

Doesn't it just make you shiver? LOL Mysti has a good eye. :-D

Glad you could join us and hang out today, Genella.

Unknown said...

Book sounds good.