Monday, April 19, 2010

Author Interview ~ Wendi Zwaduk



Hey everyone, today is Monday. Yes, yes, I know you don’t really need (or even want) the reminder. And yet, here I am reminding you. Monday means author interview! YAY! LOL, yes, I’m a bit giddy today. Don’t ask. Anyway, today we have my very good friend Wendi Zwaduk on the couch today. Let’s all make sure she feels welcome… although I’m sure the Cabana Boys will take care of that for us.

Welcome to The Menagerie, Wendi! I know, you’ve hung out with us before, but this is the first time you’ve been on the couch as a “guest”. So sit back, get comfy, and let our Cabana Boys take care of you. Let’s get started.

Where are you from?


Ohio – in the middle of farm land and the unique scent of cow poops.

LOL, not so unique… pungent I’m sure. Are experiences in your books based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

I lived near Mansfield Ohio growing up so the C-130’s mentioned in my Total E Bound story are what tended to fly over the house a lot. I also went to a college that had a flight program and the pilots in that program... whew. So yeah, a little personal, but not enough to embarrass myself.

Why… am I not surprised? Oh, because I know you! :-D If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Lora Leigh – because she’s down to earth, she’s willing to give advice and she doesn’t take herself seriously.

Gotta love an author who’s down to earth… Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

I found a love of Joey W Hill’s books. I like her unconventional characters. The more I read Kelley St John’s fuller figured heroine’s the more I love them.

Ah, yes, a girl after my own heart. Do you see writing as a career?

Maybe if I get with a NY publisher. Right now I’ll stick to being a mom. I mean, if I had my druthers, I’d love to be the next big thing in the publishing world, but I also look at it that there are thousands of authors out there.

That’s a reasonable way to look at it. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Waiting! Tom Petty wasn’t kidding. The waiting is the hardest part. Between waiting for the response (being contracted) to the moment the book is in my hot little hands—patience is not my virtue, but it became that quick.

LOL, again, so not surprised. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Floating body parts – don’t use them unless you have Thing (from the Munsters) in your story. Readers don’t want to have to figure out whose hand you’re referring to.

You mean his eyes can’t travel down her body? LOL What does your family think of your writing?

My Dh loves it because he’s willing to sacrifice himself as my research partner. Yeah, it’s a hard job. But the rest of my family... Mom and Dad love it. Mom wants to open a chili cart where she can sell my ebooks out of the back. My extended family blushes, hems, haws and generally squirms, but I think they still love me. It’s just a bit of a hassle to convince them that even though I might write about a ménage, I haven’t tried one. And my gramma thought a ménage was a massage and wanted to try one... Yeah, that took some strange explaining.

They ALWAYS love being our research assistants… it’s the standing back and leaving us alone when the muse is in control they don’t always understand. And I think I would have liked to see that massage conversation… but you know I’m perverse like that. :-D So, now for our favorite “absolutely-nothing-to-do-with-writing” questions: What animal do you think makes the best pet and why?

Cats. They have attitude, but they still know when to give you attention. Plus, they are the best crit partners. They can listen to you mutilate a line and just blink. Then when you write something you’re really proud of, they still just blink and knock you down to size.

LOL, which is probably why I don’t have a cat… You can erase any horrible experience from your past. What will it be?

Going to prom on my own. Yup. I did. I think I would’ve put myself out there a bit more and asked the guy I liked. Or even gone and done something else a bit more fun—cause watching everyone else pair up isn’t my idea of a hot time. I just look back at it and think, gee, that was a waste of money and time. But you live and learn.

Like I’ve told ya before, I’d have been there with ya… causing all kinds of trouble. And we’d have had a blast. Too bad we don’t have a time machine… or maybe a good thing. :::shrugs::: What’s a saying you use a lot? Where did it originate from?

NO WORRIES! Which is hilarious because I am a notorious worry wart. When someone asks me to do something, like fix a line or crit their work, I reply, “No worries. I’ll get it done.” I think it came from those Outback restaurant commercials. But I could be wrong.

And how did I know that one? Oh, because now you have me saying it too… Have you ever cried during a movie? If yes, which one and why?

There are so many—oy. Forrest Gump. I didn’t like Jenny much, but I could empathize with her struggles. But I gotta say that it ripped my heart out when he buried her and talked to her. Gets me every time. So yeah, I’m a sap.

Yup, love that too. Do you like thunderstorms?

I don’t mind them, but my bassett/beagle HATES them. She freaks out and wanders the house whining and drooling, so I don’t get to sleep through storms. Oh, and she thinks the bass on the surround sound is a storm. She spends a lot of time on edge—poor thing.

Poor thing… and poor you. Do you sleep with the light on? Why or why not?

Yes, because my son has a nightlight that would blot out Las Vegas. Yeah, it’s a bright light but he HAS to have it on. So if I leave my door open, yup, I have light in my room.

LOL, you’ll have to test that theory out whenever you make it down here. Well, we’ve come to the end of our interview. As always, Wendi, it has been a blast hanging out with you. Not sure I’ve laughed this much in a long time. Thank you so much for joining us on the couch today. Congrats on your releases! I am so happy for ya, girl. Hang out, badger the Cabana Boys, and just have fun the rest of the day.

Wendi Zwaduk always dreamed of writing the stories in her head. Tall, dark, and handsome heroes are her favorites, as long as he has an independent woman keeping him in line. She earned a BA in education at Kent State university and currently holds a Masters in Education with Nova Southeastern University. She loves, NASCAR, romance, books in general, Ohio farmland, dirt racing, and her menagery of animals. You can keep up with her online at her web home.

Right Where I Need To Be by Wendi Zwaduk

Logan Malone needs an acting job and fast. With his string of broken hearts, his professional life lies in shambles. To resurrect his career, he must audition for a television role which could be the job of a lifetime.

Cass Jenson needs an actor for her made for TV movie. The previous actor dropped out, leaving her stranded. Her savior shows up looking sinfully sexy and totally right for the part, but what part is she auditioning him for - her movie or her bed?


Learning How To Bend by Wendi Zwaduk

Their marriage is about to fall apart, but not if she can help it and he's willing to bend.

Abby Donovan imagined nothing could change her simple life as a librarian. Her loving husband Seth, a mechanic in the Air National Guard, is scheduled to return from a short deployment in Iraq. Before he gets home, a letter arrives. It seems Seth is asking for a divorce. She must decide whether to walk away without a fight or to wait and confront him with the thing he's always dreamed of - a ménage à trois. But all is not as it seems.

Seth Donovan wanted an idyllic life to go along with his career in the military. Then he sees the atrocities of war firsthand. A conversation with a colleague ends up as fodder for the rumour mill and so much more. Seth never wanted a divorce. He wants his wife. Will she accept him despite the rumours and advances from another man? Or can their relationship withstand the turmoil of war?

9 comments:

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

Hi ladies. Kealie, it's always a pleasure. I love hanging out with you all and I must say, this couch is mighty comfy... might have to find one of my own.

Hee hee!

You ladies rock.

Wendi

Megan Slayer said...

You're always welcome here, babe. Love the interview. Yup, you had me in stitches right next to Kealie.

Oh, and I got my copy of Learning How to Bend this AM. Hot stuff. Love it.

*
megan

Debra St. John said...

Hi Wendi!

Ah, those floating body parts are amazing, aren't they?!

Learning to wait is a tough part of the writing process, but it's all worth it in the end to see your baby in its official form!

debrastjohn08@yahoo.com

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

Thanks Debra and you are so right! But I love seeing two babies ready for the world. I hope the world is ready for them.

W

Kealie Shay said...

LOL, Wendi, you know you're always welcome on our couch... why get your own when you can come ogle while you relax here at The Menagerie? :-D But if you insist I'm sure we can find you one at least comparable in comfiness...

Like I said, it was fun doing your interview.

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

Oh hon, I can't hang out here all the time. You'd get sick of me. But then with Cabana Boys like the ones roaming here.... I might never leave.

Chris M. said...

Hey Wendi! Thought I'd hop on over and support ya! I can see why you'd want to hang out here... the CBs are certainly lovely... and so very helpful. Congratulations on your releases (and all your upcoming ones), I'm so proud of you! Good luck with your tour.

Kealie Shay said...

Wendi, hon, we'd never be able to get sick of you. You're an honorary Wild Woman, don'tcha know! Sorry, couldn't resist... you know you're always welcome, and the Cabana Boys are always up for a bit more female companionship around here. :-D

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

Then count me in
I"m here for the long haul.