Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pondering Joy and Thanks This Week



As my sweet monkeys decided that they needed to give food to those families who don't have that opportunity (entirely without our prompting) I was dumbfounded. Did I teach this to them? They got together three whole boxes of groceries that are non-perishable and a full Thanksgiving meal for some of those that are less fortunate than we are. They're good kids and it got me to thinking.

I look forward this week to spending time with my extended family as those of us who celebrate Thanksgiving here in the states gather to show our thanks for our family and friends and those around us. I think of my friends who are deployed and my family stationed in other places who won't be able to join us. I think about the family members that we have lost so recently and the fact that this will be our first big holiday without them. I think about the friends that I made this year, and hope they have a happy holiday... and the friends who have been my friends for a long time as well.

I am incredibly thankful for that family I will be spending time with this year, both the family I was born into and the family that I married into. They are amazing people and while I am usually exhausted after a day with them... I wouldn't have it any other way.

I am thankful that I live in a country where we are proud of our service men and women who go forward and do their best to secure freedom where they can. I am thankful to their families, as we ARE their families sometimes. I know how hard it is to watch the one you love walk away and go into battle and fear that you may never see them again. I know the sheer gratitude each time you get an email or phone call or they step off that plane/bus/transport and see their gorgeous face again.

I am thankful that I had the opportunity to know the family members we lost. They were absolutely amazing people and they are truly missed. They left a legacy of love and joy and even peace in all our lives. And I'm thankful my children will have such wonderful memories of these amazing souls.

I am thankful for my new friends and for my old friends. The ones who make me laugh even when I want to cry, and the ones who have seen me cry so much they know just what to say to pull me back from the edge. And all the ladies that I write with and work with who have become my rocks when I feel like I'm going under. All my author friends who poke me when I disappear too long with a loud, "Hey, what's up with you, girl?" Or the ones who corner me in a chat and make sure I know they've been thinking of me and hope all is well in my world. Well, for all y'all out there... I hope you know what you mean to me, I am so very thankful for every single one of you and hope you never have any reason to doubt that.

So, how about you? What are you thankful for this year? Are there people in your life that you wish you could make sure they knew how much you appreciated them, adored them? What are your plans for this coming holiday... if you even celebrate it? I hope everyone has a great time and that everyone remembers what they need to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving and we can move into the Christmas holidays. Enjoy! :-D

No comments: