Monday, September 28, 2009

Author Interview ~ Amber Skyze



Today, we are blessed to have with us on the couch, Amber Skyze, author of Erotic Romance. Welcome, Amber, make yourself at home. Put your feet up, grab a coffee, or whatever else you can find (I’ve got Pepsi, I think JennyKat has some Dr. Pepper around here somewhere.) Anyway, Welcome, hope you feel comfy here with us. So, let’s get started: Where are you from?

I live in one of the smallest states – Rhode Island. I moved here five years ago from New York, to be with my (now) husband.

Awww… isn’t it great how we’ll do the things we do for those we love? Why don’t you tell us your latest news?

My latest release is Talk Dirty to Topaz, from Aspen Mountain Press. www.aspenmountainpress.com. I have another book from AMP, Heat Waves coming out Sept. (haven’t gotten the exact date yet). And to end the year, Body Shots will be available with Ellora’s Cave www.jasminejade.com

All AWESOME news! Congrats, hon! When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing back in ’93 when I was a stay at home mom. I read extensively and decided one day – hey I can do this too! So I sat down and penned my first novel titled, Freedom’s Highway. It’s currently tucked away in the attic collecting dust bunnies.

LOL, I think we all have works that we have tucked away somewhere. I have one that I love the premise, but the exact story will need a lot of work if I want them to be out there in the world. Ah, well. When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I’ve been published in all the True Magazines, different non-fiction mags, and a handful of the Chicken Soup books, but I didn’t consider myself a writer until last December when my first book, Mistletoe Studs, was published.

I can certainly understand that one. I don’t know that I would consider myself a writer until I sell my very own book! What book are you reading now?

Currently I’m reading Annette Blair’s A Veiled Deception. It’s my first foray into the cozy mystery world and I’m rather enjoying it! You should read it if you haven’t.

I’ll have to look into it. Not always a huge suspense/\mystery fan. But you never know. Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

There are actually two new authors. Fran Lee and Julia Barrett. Julia isn’t brand new, but her courage to write stories about abuse amazes me.

I can only imagine, it’s an utterly terrifying thing to experience and even if you’ve been through it it’s very difficult to do it well. I’ll have to look her up. What are your current projects?

Currently I’m writing a series called Lady Shea’s Manor, for AMP. Lady Shea’s will follow three women with three different fantasies. Lady Shea’s is a warm and inviting mansion that sits on the bluffs. It was turned into a place where women come to live out their every desire.

I’m also working on Sliding Home, a M/M for Noble Romance. And for my third publisher Ellora’s Cave, I’m working on Laney’s Delights, a contemporary.


Both sound very intriguing. You’ll have to keep us updated. We love to give shout outs to our friends! Do you see writing as a career?

Absolutely, one I hope to make full time in the future.

Good, it’s very nice to see other authors who see it as a career. They take it seriously. Do you have any advice for other writers?

Write every day. Keep submitting. If you don’t submit, you’ll never get published.

Sound advice, we should all follow it. How long does it take you to write a book?

About a month from start to finish.

Geesh, lucky duck. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I get up at 4am, check email, read my friends blogs, then I write for an hour or so before getting ready for my day job.

Wow, busy lady! What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I like to spend time with my new granddaughter, float around in my pool, (when the weather cooperates), and go to the beach.

Wow, even more of a lucky duck! Playing with grandbabies, floating in pool and going to the beach. Sounds like the good life. How many books have you written?

I’ve written over 15 books so far. Which is your favorite? My favorite erotica book is Splashing Good Time, with Ellora’s Cave. I just love the hero, Nathan. And my favorite non-erotica, is Mommy Bound, which I’m shopping to agents. It’s a romantic comedy, which I love to write too.

Wow that’s quite the back list. It’s obvious you love to do this. Do you hear from your readers much?

Because I’m a newer author I haven’t received much fan mail. But recently I did hear from two readers. What kinds of things do they say? They dropped a note to tell me how much the loved my book and one said she couldn’t wait for the sequel. This surprised me because I never mentioned a sequel, although I was writing it!

LOL, doesn’t it feel like our readers know before we do? And then the muse jumps up and says, “Yeah, what SHE said!” Now for the “nothing-to-do-with-writing questions: What animal do you think makes the best pet and why?

I have three dogs, so I’m going with a dog. ;-) They’re so much like humans, except they give love unconditionally. You could be mad about something they did and they’re licking your face.

Dogs are good companions to have. Have you ever cried during a movie?

Umm, I’ve cried in during a lot of movies.  If yes, which one and why? Most recently I cried in Marley and Me. If you’ve seen the movie you know why.

Nothing wrong with crying. Have you ever made a crank phone call?

I’m ashamed to admit this, but yes. As a teenager I did. If yes, explain what you did. There was this girl who wanted my boyfriend. She’d call his house every day after school, which I was always there. Anyway, a few times I called and played this song, “Everybody Wants You”, because she thought all the seniors wanted her. Geez, I hadn’t thought about that in years. LOL

LOL, we all do it. Are you a morning person or a night person?

Definitely a morning person. I get up at 4am.

Oh, hmm… does it count if you don’t get to sleep, so you’re up at 4 am? Does that make me a morning person Can you taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke?

Yes, yes, yes. When they used to have those taste test commercials I so wanted to be on them. I think there’s a distinctive difference between Pepsi and Coke. If so, which do you prefer? Pepsi!

I can tell the difference too. Well, thanks for hanging out with us today at The Menagerie. It has been so much fun getting to know each other. To know more about Amber visit her here at her website.

Amber Skyze is an new author of erotic romance. I’ve written fiction and non-fiction for over 14 years. I spent the first ten years of my career writing for the Trues – True Confessions, True Romance, etc. I also write magazine articles. My love for erotic romance didn’t come to light until I met my husband. Then all the bells went off – I want to write erotica, I want to write erotica! My husband’s a wonderful inspiration and research partner

Talk Dirty to Topaz by Amber Skyze

Interior Designer Teagan Topaz doesn’t believe in love, after finding her fiancĂ© in bed doing the nasty with another woman. Nine long months later Teagan finds herself sexually frustrated, due to a recent surge of explicit sex phone calls on her business line.

Frank Black needs Teagan’s expertise to put the finishing touches on a room in his house, but he fantasizes about tying her up and ravishing her.

Will Teagan be able to resist the designs Frank has for her?

25 comments:

Paris said...

Great interview! Amber is an awesome writer and I loved Splashing Good Times!

Unknown said...

Thanks Paris! I always love to hear what others think about my books.

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you, Kaelie and JennyKat for interviewing me. I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone today.

Molly Daniels said...

Amber, I'm so glad I discovered your books! Excellent interview and I'm looking forward to reading more of your work:)

Mia Watts said...

"Write every day. Keep submitting. If you don’t submit, you’ll never get published"

Never a truer word. However, 4am is INSANE. I only get up that early if I'm not required to think.

Unknown said...

Thanks Molly! I'm so happy you've enjoyed my books so far. Hope you continue enjoying them.


Hahahahahahahaha, Mia! I have kids so I've been getting up early for over 20 years. But maybe I'm not sane. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Helen Hardt said...

Amber, wonderful to meet you -- I'm a fellow EC and AMP author. I love the cover for Talk Dirty to Topaz -- very hot! I look forward to exploring your work ;).

Regina Carlysle said...

4 am???? Ummmm. Wow. I started writing in '92, right around the same time as you with my very first sitting in a closet somewhere.

Wonderful interview.

Unknown said...

Hi Helen, That is my favorite cover to date too! :) Nice to meet a fellow AMP and EC author. Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by Regina! :) I had a corner in the family room, with a typewriter!!!!!

Unknown said...

On the whole you and I have a lot in common, Amber. However, I am not now and NEVER will be a morning person. My hubby says I'm like Garfield the Cat - I don't do mornings.

I don't remember making prank calls but I did toilet paper trees as a teenager. That was a blast - don't tell my kids I did that. Shush!

I cry at movies all the time. Any time a child or mother die or is lost to the other, I'm a goner. I sobbed all the way through Land Without Time. Of course, I didn't know the plot until I was in the theater and I'd just lost my own mom.

Kealie Shay said...

LOL, Amber, it was great having you here. Looks like everyone kept ya pretty busy. I'm sure others will stop by later and say, "Hi." I'm glad I got to do your interview.

Shawna Thomas said...

4 am? I couldn't function that early much less write. : )

Wonderful interview! When they had those Coke/Pepsi tastes tests on TV, I wanted to do one too so I constructed my own and tested all my family members. We're Coke people. ; )

Fran Lee said...

Amber, you lovely little doll, you! Thanks for the kind plug! You have made a huge impression on me, too, love! I love your books...

Katalina Leon said...

Amber, I'm so inspired by the fact that you can write a book in a month and hold a day job. You're amazing!
XXOO Kat

Unknown said...

Lynne, it's nice to know I wasn't the only one wanting to take the taste tests!

Fran I love you plain and simple!

Katalina, thanks for your kind words.

I appreciate everyone for stopping by and supporting me today!

Lia Slater said...

Hi Amber,
Great advice for other writers!! So true! And your books sound really good!!

Nicole H. said...

WONDERFUL interview! Sorry I am late! That is great advice! And you are a lucky woman to have a hubby that helps in research! ;)

Julia Barrett said...

Hey Amber! Great interview! Just thought I'd drop in!

jean hart stewart said...

4 A.M. Can't believe your energy. Already enjoyed your writing but now I'm even more impressed. Jean

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

4 am? Shudder. Great interview, Amber!

Unknown said...

Julia, Lia and Nicole - thanks for taking time to stop by! :)

Dalton Diaz said...

I'm with the others - 4 am??? Wow. It would take copious amounts of coffee to make that happen. Probably a few cokes, too. Not a Pepsi gal, tho!
Congrats on all the books. You're really rockin'!

Unknown said...

Yes, I know I'm crazy Dalton. It's the only quiet time in my house, tho! :)

Unknown said...

Cindy and Jean you ladies are awesome. Thanks for stopping by!