Thursday, January 21, 2010

Writing Sex

I'm still ass-deep in edits -- I've been working like a dog and am only about halfway through them. Considering this is my third round, it shouldn't be this hard.

But it is.

The amazing thing? I've added in the neighborhood of 6000 words to this story since I sent it in. Since I'm adding, and not subtracting, is that reverse edits?

LOL....

The good news for potential readers is that the additions are pretty much regarding sex. Lots of sex. More description, stronger verbs, s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g out the scenes and wringing them for every last bit of heat. And, this is actually what the edits have been for, all three times. It's a challenge to walk through these most intimate acts in slow motion, describing not just what is happening, but how everything feels, tastes, smells, sounds.



It's been an amazing learning experience. And, I just want to say that anyone who thinks writing sex is easy needs to think again. I told Kealie a couple of days ago that my next story is going to be a sweet romance! *G*

What do you think? Is it easier to write lots of sex, or none? And, after you've written erotic romance, can you go back to writing sweet?

More: What are YOUR edits for, mostly? Any hints on getting through them without a massive headache when you're done?

No comments: