Monday, July 6, 2009

Author Interview ~ Wend Petzler


Today on The Menagerie we are delighted to have author, Wend Petzler. Let's all give Wend a nice warm welcome.

Welcome to the couch, Wend. Let's get started. Where are you from?

I live in Post Falls Idaho part-time and Southern Arizona the other time.

Sounds like a well-rounded environment, lol. Why don't you tell us your latest news?

My latest is news is sooo awesome! Currently, I am #21 on the Fictionwise bestseller list with my recent release, Whisper to Me, the first of the Borne Vampire series. At the New Concepts Publishing list, my book is #3 on the bestselling list. I am so jacked about this.

WOW, can't say I wouldn't be jacked about it, myself. Congrats! When and why did you begin writing?

I started writing when I was seventeen because of a movie I watched. It was called Romancing the Stone with Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas. I went home that night and dreamt of being on such an adventure. When I woke up the urge to write hit me, and it was the start of a passionate love affair with writing.

OH, I loved that movie! I wonder how many authors secretly decided right when they saw that movie they wanted to be writers? Something to ponder. When did you first consider yourself a writer?

Honestly? When I sold my second book, Blood Keep. I thought when I sold Curse of the Scarab King it was a fluke, no one would really want to buy another of my books. Then Andrea DePasture, New Concepts Publishing, bought two more and Anne Seymour, The Wild Rose Press, bought one, making it four sold books. It was then I finally felt like a writer and that people were reading my work and loving it.

I'm sure you're not the only one who ever thinks, "NO on will buy another one of my books! Aren't you so glad you were wrong! What inspired you to write your first book?

Another book. It was simple romance and it left me unsatisfied, so I wrote my own.

Do you have a specific writing style?

I write to bring adventure to my readers. Romance to bring us out of our ordinary lives. I have a habit of breaking the rules as do my characters. I live to shake things up.

That's an excellent way to live. Normal is quite boring, definitely shake things up. How did you come up with the title?

Usually a quarter into writing a book its title will come to me, unless I had one already picked from what the story is about--like Blood Keep. That one surrounded a castle, Blood Keep, and it had such an impact on the characters it seemed fitting.

Which makes sense. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Yes. Hope. No matter what bad or impossible conditions are sent our way, we will prevail.

I think that's a rather important message to take into life. How much of the book is realistic?

My historicals are based on actual events. I love researching, finding lost stories in history and building a love story around them.

Ah, someone else that loves to research. Are the experiences in your stories based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Some are, some are other people I know or met. Usually though my stories are from the characters themselves. They are quite forceful when they want to be written and from there the inspiration flows.

Yes, most characters do have a mind of their own. Makes for a good book... but a bad time when you're trying to pull them into shape. What books have most influenced your life most?

The books which influenced me are Shanna, Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwess, The Dune Series by Frank Herbert, and The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey.

All great authors. What are your current projects?

I am splitting my time between the Hand of Destiny series and my Borne Vampire series.

Which I'm sure is keeping you busy. Do you see writing as a career?

Most definitely! I’m in love with what I do. I never can give it up without losing a major part of my soul and heart.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Never give up! Keep writing and learning and you will reach your goal of being published.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you for taking a chance on a new writer and buying my books! I am eternally grateful to you for helping me achieve my goal of being a published writer.

How long does it take you to write a book?

Usually three months, once research has been done.

And I'll bet the research is what takes longest. Especially if what you're researching just hangs on to your attention. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Grueling! Once I start writing I can’t stop until the book is done. My family gets so bent out of shape once the writing kicks in, but they understand--actually I ignore them until I’m finished.

Which is the BEST way to get it done. LOL What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I wear old t-shirts and pink fluffy slippers when I write. For some reason they inspire me.

Hey, whatever works. What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Travel. I love taking long drives and exploring. When I get back the inspiration kicks in and I find new ideas to jaunt down.

What does your family think of your writing?

At first they thought I was crazy, now that I’m getting paid they think I’m eccentric.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I have five finished with four partials. Of all my books, I would have to say Lady Thief. The chemistry between Lucian and Eiry takes my breath every time I read it. They are such awesome people.

I love when a story works out that way. And now for our "Absolutely Nothing to Do With Writing" Questions: What animal do you think makes the best pet and why?

I love my dog so much, but the best pet is a cat. I have four who for a lack of better word--respect me when I am writing. Bear just barges in when he wants attention. The ‘kids’ wait until I take a break.

Have to agree, you just have to love how a dog just makes sure you know what they want. Do you hate how you look in pictures? Why or why not?

Ugh! I feel like I look like Frankenstein’s bride. I hate my picture being taken.

LOL, I'll remember that. You can erase any horrible experience from your past. What will it be?

Two very bad divorces. Much more painful than even I could have imagined and fortunately I was able to recover from it with minimal scarring on my heart and pocket book.

I'm sorry. Even when it's the best for everyone, it's always painful. When you looked in the mirror this morning, what was the first thing you thought?

I need to get a suntan. Am looking far too much like a vampire lately.

LOL, What were you doing at midnight last night?

Watching a horror movie. Sick I know, but I am writing the second book of my vampire series and I have a serial killer in it. Gets me in the killing mood, so to speak.

Like I said, whatever works! What’s a saying you use a lot? Where did it originate from?

‘Never give up, never surrender!” from Galaxy Quest.

*snicker* LOVE Galaxy Quest. What is your favorite animal?

Horses. Before I could even walk, my mom and grandfather put me on one and the rest is history.

What is your heritage?

I am native American with German, Russian-Austrian.

Have you ever made a crank phone call? If yes, explain what you did.

No, but we use to have a guy call us and we would play along. He would hang up on us and we would *69 him and ask him why he hung up.

That is priceless. Are you a morning person or a night person?

I love the night and early morning, very early. There is something special about the transition of the night into a brand new day.

Do you like thunderstorms?

Down in Arizona they are spectacular! They bring energy and power of a level almost spiritual in quality and senses.

Can you taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke? If so, which do you prefer?

YES!!!! Coke is flat and sweeter than Pepsi. I love Pepsi.

If you could wish for anything, what would you wish for?

I would wish for a house with a pool. I love to swim and having my own would give me the opportunity to swim whenever I wanted to

Well, it has been so very fun getting to know you, Wend. Thanks so much for stopping by and hanging out on the couch today.

Wend was born and raised in a small town not far from Moscow Idaho on a small farm. Wend's dad was a log scaler and mom, a housekeeper. She learned to ride a horse before she could even walk and to be honest rarely did even when she could. Her fondest memories were of riding in the forest and fields of the Palouse and reading historical romances her mom and Nana gave her. Wend wrote her first book at fifteen and was ready to pursue a careeer as writer until a series of bad events put that desire on hold until she was 24 and was a divorced single parent. Wend's need to write surged anew and the images from her head flowed onto paper and it took another 14 years until she was published.

You can visit with Wend on the web at her Website and on MySpace.


Whisper to Me by Wend Petzler

All Mariah Jordan wanted was a few days off. What she got was a wounded vampire who needed blood…her blood. Sensing something sinister stalking the woods behind her cabin, Mariah tests the dying vampire by offering her blood for a price--a kiss. How could something so sweet, so bone-thrillingly delicious put her right in the middle of a vampire war with her as the prize?

No comments: