Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Creativity out the Wazoo

I had an insanely busy day yesterday, and you can read all about it at my MySpace blog if you'd like. It's long and I didn't want to take up so much space here. That's more my personal blog where I talk about... stuff.... that's not always associated with writing.

Today, I wanted to ask you other authors out there how you do it? How do you deal with your creativity if it's coming out the wazoo? I know that I have an excess of creative energy that doesn't feel book like. Does that make sense? I love writing, but sometimes I need to put my creativity toward other things. I play around with altering photos so I can use them as MySpace comments or to be part of a digital scrapbook. I make cards because I love the fact I can make a better card than the ones sold in the stores and because I made it, the person receiving it loves it even more. I used to do scrapbooks, but I don't have the time right now. I need something that I can focus on and get done in about an hour or less. Lately I have been making book thongs. Thanks to my sweetie author friend, KyAnn Waters, I won one from her some time ago and I have been making them myself. It's kind of addictive the whole bead collecting and threading and it's just a lot of fun. I might even start using them as part of contests and promotions for The Menagerie authors and stuff. But those things still aren't enough. I still feel like I want to do other creative stuff away from my writing.

My hubby says it's because I have an addictive personality... and? He wants the sex addiction to kick in. I said, "Honey... I write erotic romance, you help with the research... you want me to be even more addicted than I already am?" Guess so.

So, does anyone else have this problem of an overabundance of creativity, or: Creativity Out the Wazoo? What sorts of crafts/creative things do you do? Can I learn it? LOL

2 comments:

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

Oh, honey... I hear you. I too have an overabundance of creativity.

I started out with art stuff. I draw and paint (well enough that it got me through college). But that wasn't enough.

Then i started doing drawings for others. Still not enough.

I took up writing to give a voice to those pesky people in my head. That's helped, but hubby still wants me to go into sex overdrive. (must be a guy thing).

I learned to make jewelry and scrapbook, but that didn't do it either.

I twiddle with myspace and my blog.

So I hear you.

PS: Beading and jewelry isn't hard, but can get addictive and darned expensive.
: )

Kealie Shay said...

WOW, you can draw and paint? I can barely draw a stick figure.

I did beading a long time ago (I still have the belly chain I made back then), but I forgot how addictive it was. The same can be said of stamping and card making... I have so many stamps, I do use them. Like I said, I like to make cards.

But I seem to have cycles. I'll get all gung-ho about a craft and then I'll taper off and find another one, same thing goes on until it comes back to the first craft. My hubby got me into glass etching... that one is a GREAT gift idea. :-D