Friday, November 26, 2010

Length or Girth

So technically I'm on vacation. The boys dragged me away - ok, it didn't take much - just sayin'. And you gotta admit, I got you snagged in with that post title. Don't lie. I know it did. (That was my point.)

All silliness aside, I wanted to pop on here and post a question. I'm in the midst (I'd like to say homestretch) of a short story and I keep wondering as I approach my anticipated word count (I plan to go over, but how much is up for debate), how short is too short?

I've read some stories that are say...6k that are fantastic. Sometimes it shocks me how darn much gets packed into 21 pgs. At the same time, I've read some 70k work that is equally fantastic. Again, a lot going into those 300 pgs, but what makes it better or not than the 6k one?

I ask this because my story is right about 5k at the moment. Not earth shattering, I know. (I said it's still under construction.) I'm a firm believer in the story will be the length its meant to be. You can probably make a 6k go on for 50k, but in the end is it worth it? I mean, did it just draw out the story for the sake of pages or was it really adding to the overall meat of the tale? I'll tell you, I've read some 60k stories I thought could've been pared down to 30k and it would've made the story better.

Which do you prefer or does it not matter as long as the story is tight? Short? Long? Good story make the length irrelevant?

I'm dying to know. Really.

No comments: