Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday Author Interview with Morticia Knight!




I want to thank author Morticia Knight for coming by. It’s always wild here at the Menagerie, but she gives us a dramatic flair. Welcome, Morticia! Why don’t you tell us a little bit about you? Where are you from?
I'm originally from Los Angeles, and I grew up around the entertainment scene. I spent a lot of time as a rock singer on the famed Sunset Strip, and also performed in a couple of theatre groups for awhile. My flair for the dramatic has been amazingly helpful in coming up with different scenarios when I write. Plus – I met a lot characters in Hollywood!


I bet that was a lot of fun! When and why did you begin writing?
Both my parents worked long hours, and I didn't have siblings to play with. I was watched by old ladies who watched soap operas all day, so I had no choice but to entertain myself. I would draw picture stories that went on for pages, and I would add the little cartoon balloons above their heads to tell the story. There were usually magic genies and ghosts or princes involved in my stories. Oddly enough, my current WIP is inspired by one of those kid stories. Except it's spiced up considerably since I was 8!

Hey, you never know when you can use those ideas. Grin. When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When I was contracted by a rock 'n' roll journalist to ghostwrite his story. He was paying me large chunks of cash every week to make sense of his crazed 1960's adventures, and I had to work really hard to have it come across readable. He would blather stream of consciousness recollections into a mini recorder, and I had to interpret it. I did this for a year, and at the end of it, there was a complete book that publishers were interested in. I was amazed.

Now that sounds like a fun but strange trip. Very cool. If you had to choose, what writer would you consider a mentor?
Stephen King. I read him early on as a pre-teen, and have read dozens of his books. He has a certain way of taking something ordinary , and putting that certain twist on it. Those gears in his brain must be turning all the time. He was also one of the first popular writers I read where the characters seemed very real and like my buddies. They would say quirky things and have these great sarcastic observations that I could absolutely relate to.

There is at least one or two King books that felt doggoned real to me. Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
Several, actually – it would be way too many to list. Some maybe aren't all that new on the scene, but they're new to me. A few come to mind becasue I just read something by them: Lisabet Sarai writes some excellent and smart BDSM, GLBT and more. In paranormal romance, Dani Harper is just now releasing the third installment of her Changling series. In other contemporary erotica, Megan Hart is a very talented writer; I recently read one of her menage stories.

Lisabet is a dear friend of the Menagerie. So, dish about your latest news.
I'm currently finishing up Part 4 of the Bound by Pleasure Series. This one will be called Dirty Discoveries, and continues the theme of some pretty hardcore BDSM. I'm planning a total of six in the series. I also have a menage story coming out in May through Total-E-bound Publishing for their Anthology, All Together Now.


Cool! What animal makes the best pet and why?
Snakes. They only eat once in awhile, and their poop is easy to clean up. They also don't bark.

Shiver. I’m not a snake person. I like things that bark. You can have the snake I was meant to have. Are you a morning person, or a night person?
How could anyone with the name "Morticia" possibly be a morning person?

This is true. Do you like thunderstorms?
I LOVE them. Especially with an incredible lightning show. Windstorms are great too. The more drama, the better!

Yes! Now that I can relate to. Grin. What stereotype would you label yourself as?
A Valley Girl. Totally.

Hee hee. Gotta be something. Do you sleep with the light on? Why or why not?
Absolutely not. The darker the better baby!

Yeah, I’m on board with that, too. How many fingers am I holding up?
Just that one in the middle.

Now why does everyone think I have my middle finger up? I was raising my little finger and drinking tea. Giggle. But seriously, here's a little bit more about Morticia and where you can keep up with her:
http://morticiaknight.blogspot.com

Erotic Romance author Morticia Knight enjoys a good saucy tale. Whether it is contemporary, historical, menage, M/M or BDSM - she loves it all! One of her passions is bringing people's fantasies to life on the page, because life is too short for even one boring moment. Her stories are volcanic in heat, deep in emotion, and sprinkled with doses of humor. She is currently working on her first erotic paranormal romance about an evil Djinn.


Thanks Morticia! So glad you could be here! Check her out!

No comments: