Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday Author Interview with Ella Jade!


Today I’d like to welcome author, Ella Jade onto the couch. She’s hard at work on many projects, so it’s our good luck to have her here today! Welcome Ella!! Let’s start this interview! Where are you from?

I'm from a town in South Jersey about 25 minutes outside of Philadelphia.


East coast girl! When and why did you begin writing?

Writing was just something I always had to do. I've been jotting down plot lines and creating characters for years. The stories and the dialogue play out in my head and I go with it.



You can’t not do it when they start chattering. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

It's not so much a message but because the book is m/m, I didn't necessarily want the focus to be so much on the fact that the two main characters are both men, but more on the emotional connection they share. For me it was about creating a relationship between the two and showing how unconditionally they love one another.

How much of the book is realistic?

I hope the whole thing reads realistically. I may have gotten a bit sappy from time to time because it is a romance novel, but I always try to create realistic dialogue and characters a reader will remember long after the last page is read.

A little sap is never bad. What are your current projects?

I'm working on a new m/m. This one is more of a suspense but it has a strong romantic undertone. I'm also toying with a story that has been playing out in my head for a few months. I'm waiting for that moment when I realize I have to stop everything and tell this one. Right now the characters haven't given me that BIG scene yet, but I'm not worried, I know its coming!

Grin. Do you see writing as a career?

Yes! Now that I've gotten a taste of what it's like to see my work published, I can't stop. I don’t know how successful I'll be, but right now I'm having fun trying, so I'll keep going and see where it takes me.

It is an addiction. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you! Without you guys I couldn't do this. Of course I write for me, but it’s the thrill of getting to share my stories with all of you that really motivates me. I've met some really great writers and readers along this journey.

How long does it take you to write a book? Usually about a month, sometimes longer if another plot bunny pops up in the middle. My kids are in school full-time so I can dedicate lots of hours a week to getting the job done.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

So far I have four published and two more under consideration. I'm constantly creating and have tons of stories in my head. I love them all, but if I had to pick one, it would be Embracing the Unexpected. I simply adore the two main characters.

I love most of my characters, too. What do you think makes a good story?

Strong characters and dialogue I can identify with. I want to get lost in the storyline and feel a strong connection to the people I'm investing my time in. If the book can make me lose myself for an hour or two at a time, then it is a good story.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

I wanted to be a writer. I'm not kidding! I always had a notebook and pen in my hand. I'm a storyteller, but I never thought I could actually do it. That all changed when I discovered the eBooks industry.

What were you doing at midnight last night?

Sleeping! I have two boys to get up and out in the morning and then I put in a full day of writing, so I need to be asleep by ten.

What’s a saying you use a lot? Where did it originate from?

I've always told my kids if we fall, we get back up. When we went to see The Karate Kid movie, Mr. Han says, "Life will knock us down but we can choose to get back up." I was like, "See, that's what I'm talking about!" Now, I say it all the time.

What do you want to know about the future?

I want to know that my children will be happy and healthy.

Have you ever cried during a movie? If yes, which one and why?

This is silly, but every time I watch the Wizard of Oz, I cry when Dorothy says to the Scarecrow, "I think I'll miss you most of all."

It struck a chord with me when I was young and it stuck with me.


I can’t watch the episode of M*A*S*H when Col. Blake passes without breaking into tears. I get it. Are you a morning person or a night person?

Well, I want to be a night person. I've always been, but after having kids, my bedtime seemed to get earlier and earlier. Now if I'm up for the eleven o'clock news that's pretty late. In the summer, I do tend to stay up later so I can write because with the kids home from school, my days are busy with them.

Kids take a lot out of you. Do you like thunderstorms?

Yes, there's something sexy about them when I'm using them in a steamy scene. Actually, I love a rainy day when we have nothing to do but stay in our PJ's and veg. Those are some of my favorite times.

Unless there’s about 8 rainy days in a row. Trust me. I live for the sunshine then.Can you taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke? If so, which do you prefer?

Yes, I've always been a Coke girl. I've been known to not eat at restaurants that only serve Pepsi. Strange but true.

That’s intense. Here’s the blurb for Embracing the Unexpected:

Sometimes love can be found where we least expect it.
When Parker Phillips, a successful attorney, has a confrontation with his friend Ava's abusive boyfriend, he finds himself facing assault and battery charges, and he's ordered to attend an anger management course. Parker, who has never been attracted to a man, is drawn to Dr. Jace Cross, the psychiatrist leading the class. But how can that be, since Parker is straight?

Jace accepted the fact that he was gay many years ago, and he's comfortable in his sexuality, but he's been single for some time now. He throws himself into his work to fill the lonely void.

Although sparks fly whenever they're together, Parker's reluctant to embrace these feelings he has for another man.

Can the sexy doctor help him discover who he truly is?


Find Ella at:

Ella Jade has been writing for as long as she can remember. As a child, she often had a notebook and pen with her and now as an adult, the laptop is never far. The plots and dialogue have always played out in her head, but she never knew what to do with them. That all changed when she discovered the eBooks industry. She started penning novels at a rapid pace and now she can't be stopped.

Ella resides in New Jersey with her husband and two young boys. When she's not chasing after her kids, she's busy writing, attending PTO meetings, kickboxing and scrapbooking. She hope's you'll get lost in her words.
http://beachwalkpress.com/embracing-the-unexpected/
http://ellajadeauthor.blogspot.com


No comments: